Thursday, June 5, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Lots of progress made

Have had a very busy week quilting wise.

I got the back for Not So Sombre Stars for Derek finished last Sunday and talked about it in Sunday Stash report. I was thrilled with how it turned out. Still haven't had a chance to get it pinned but am taking it with me this weekend on my quilt retreat that I leave for tomorrow morning after some other commitments.



Sunday evening and Monday I worked on getting squares cut for my black and white quilt. I am making "Trip Around the World" using half square triangles of black back ground with white design and white back ground with black designs. At least one row will include some black white and red fabric. Decided on 4" finished squares which means that if I use the 4 at a time method of half square triangle construction I need 7" squares to start with. I already had some squares that were 5" plus had left overs from my cutting that could be used to make 5" squares. These I can use to make HST of the required size 2 at a time. I worked out that I need some more white background fabric plus more red white and black fabric so will get some at Spotlight on my way through Rockhampton (they are having a 40% off all fabric sale this week... yay)

I decided my new design wall looked empty so I dragged out some of my left over blocks etc and set about designing a new baby quilt incorporating some of mum's embroideries, some left over half square triangles and some 2 patches that I had started making for a long forgotten project. Also some flying geese. Came up with a design I was really happy with that had pinwheels, 16 patches and square in a square blocks. I needed to make a few more half square triangles in order to make enough pinwheels but the rest is from leftovers. I have made all but one of the pinwheels and have started on the 16 patches. (I made them as leader and enders at the workshop today)




Our patchwork group has just had a 2 day workshop with the woman who was flown in by the show society to judge the patchwork section. Her name is Sue and she was a lovely person and a great teacher. Her sister joined her to assist in the judging and in the tutoring so we got 2 for the price of one!

Yesterday she taught us how to do tumbling blocks. For many of us Y seams had put us off attempting this block but she was so lovely and had a great technique which made it easier. We had a choice of making a table runner or a bag and I opted for the bag and managed to insert the zip with lots of patient tutoring from Sue.







Today Carol taught us Disappearing 9 Patch with a Twist - which was the traditional block with Pinwheels in two corners. Carol told us to iron all our seams open on the pinwheel. I have never done them this way but have to say that the pinwheel lay a good bit flatter as a result.


Again we could do a bag or a table runner and I was going to do the bag again to try to cement the techniques but realised I had neither zip nor batting with me (forgot them both) so decided to make more blocks and make a quilt. The quilt used all 5" squares.  Whilst most of the ladies had charm packs all my 5 " squares are cut from my scraps. I got 5 blocks completed and will make another 4 at least and perhaps 8. I think this will be a donation quilt for local charities.



Tomorrow (almost midnight so that should be today) I am going to a 4 day quilting retreat at the coast that I go to each year. Its called Patch N Peace and I really enjoy it. I am taking my SOMB quilts with me as it was here last year that we did the shirt swap which was the beginning of the challenge. I had wanted to have all 4 of my quilts completed but alas the last one is yet to be pinned. I hope to pin it this weekend.

Hopefully on Sunday Stash report I won't have too much damage to report re intake and maybe a couple more finishes... or even just one more. We shall see.

Linking in with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

2 comments:

  1. The tumbling block bag is adorable! Love the bright colors. The baby quilts are really pretty too. Have fun on retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable bag. Love all your bright happy colors.

    ReplyDelete