Friday, April 10, 2015

I is for Internet



The internet is a major contributor to my quilting and patchwork life. When I started quilting  15 years ago the internet was already a part of my life and quickly became an integral part in my crafting journey as a major resource. It provided me with a wider group of acquaintances to share my hobby with.

Online groups
The first major influence was an online group called Southern Cross Quilters, Especially for Australian and New Zealanders they provided opportunity for email discussion on all sorts of topics. They ran swaps, organised meet ups and conferences and pointed members to online and real life resources. It was through this group that I participated in my first swaps and challenges. I was introduced to some other more local quilters and was invited to my first quilting retreat (which I still attend yearly to this day)

Blogs: Most of the blogs I read are quilting or patchwork related. A lot of them I have come to via the podcasts that I listen to. From them I get ideas and inspiration, recommendations for other sites to visit - online shops, other blogs, patterns and tutorials

My favourites blogs are
Fangirl Stitches (my daughter's blog) She is taking part in the A-Z challenge. In fact she got me into it. This is NOT a patchwork blog
Bluebirds and Bumblebees (my sister in law's blog)
Hip To Be a Square Podcast
Quilting for the Rest of US
Snippets and Scraps
Slightly Mad Quilt Lady

I have a heap of others on my Feedly set up but these are the ones I try to read regularly


Podcasts: I love listening to podcasts and most of them are quilting related. As well as pointing me to great blogs they also are a great reference to tools and notions, patterns and tutorials. When we get to P for Podcast I will go into my favourite ones in greater depth. I love podcasts.

You Tube: I've learned so many techniques through You Tube tutorials. I can now do zips which is a big major advancment for me :) I made 4 quilts last year based on you-tube videos I had watched. My favourite channel is the Missouri Star one. Jenny is a great presenter - so matter of fact and plain speaking its hard to go wrong.

Free Patterns and Tutorials: As well as the ones I come across on blogs, I frequently search the internet when wanting a pattern or a tutorial for something. I use the net far more frequently than any of the quiltling related magazines, or books that I own.

Other Internet sites that I use frequently all contribute to my patchwork interests to as sources of encouragement, inspiration, ideas and friendship

Twitter (I'm Ozzypip on that)
Facebook - this is my private feed so won't publish my details here
Pinterest - I'm Ozzypip on this too
Ebay
Etsy

The one I haven't really gotten to grips with yet is Instagram. I don't get it. Might have to get some remedial help with that one.

What is your favourite Social Media platform? Does it help or hinder your current passion?

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I've come here through A to Z Challenge.
    Internet is a great source of information, and it helps us interact with people from all over the world.
    I dabbled in patchwork and quilting several years ago, and I also love crocheting. I sometimes search for patterns on the Internet.
    As for Social Media, I have an account in Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, but I don't use them very often. I prefer blogging.

    Letters from the Land of Cherry Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on my list to check if you are being part of the A to Z Challenge.

    THANK YOU for being up to the letter "I"...
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

    There's no earthly way of knowing.
    Which direction we are going!

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apparently am very slow at putting 2 and 2 together! I knew you called your daughter Fangirl. I SAW the blog Fangirl Stitches on the scrollybob. It totally didn't click that you and she are related. How fun that you're doing A to Z together! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete