Thursday, April 16, 2015

N is for nieces and nephews



I have 24 nieces and nephews - 20 on my side of the family and 4 on Fixit Guy's side. His side weren't really trying were they :) Just kidding. I am one of 8 siblings who have all married and reproduced. We averaged 3 children each (3 of us had 4 kids, 3 of us had 2 kids and 2 of us had 3 kids) He has only 2 brothers who both had 2 kids.

I became an aunty at 16 when my oldest sister had her first child B - a gorgeous little girl who was doted on by the whole family. She is now... gulp ..... about to turn 40. I am in denial about that. She was my flower girl when we married. She was only 6 but took her job so seriously. She was actually quite sick on the day and even though I said she could walk down the aisle holding my hand rather than going out first on her own to lead the way she was determined to do the right thing and do it all properly. She was so sweet and still is. Fixit Guy and I are both in denial about her age... how can our flower girl be that grown up?

B was the first grand child and the only grand daughter for over 6 years as the next 5 grandchildren were all boys. We reversed the trend then as the next 5 were girls, one boy and then another 3 girls. After that the boys got a bit of a go on and there were 7 boys born for only 2 girls meaning that in the end my mum and dad ended up with 11 grand daughters and 13 grandsons, which given they had 6 daughters and 2 sons was pretty amazingly good going. If only Christine (from Bluebirds and Bumblebees, my esteemed SIL)  had managed a girl at the end it would have been even but you just can't get good help these days..:) The family had been even after our 3rd child was born. He made it a neat 10 boys and 10 girls. Christine asked what would happen if they had another child. My Fixit Guy said "You break it YOU fix it" We were the ones who went on to have another baby, our 3rd son Boyo. Christine and my brother then had their 3rd... another son. She sent a message to Fixit Guy saying that they had tried to fix it....


Mind you ... I personally have managed to end up with 12 nieces and 12 nephews when you count my husband's family so that is very organised of me


Our family continues to grow. My mum's 20th great grandchild is on the way now and no doubt there will be plenty more in the future.

I have been truly blessed with my wonderful family

2 comments:

  1. WOW...Thats quite a family. I come from a family of just 3 kids, and hubb and I had just 1 practically perfect daughter. My younger brother and his wife had zero, and my older brother and his wife had 3 sons, 2 of whom have 2 kids each, so by comparison...my family is small.

    Sandy at Bridge and Beyond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I would be SO overwhelmed with that many nieces and nephews to make presents for. We currently sit at 3 nieces and 1 nephew, plus 1 who we've "adopted" as a niece (the daughter of our best friends who has a little brother on the way). What a fantastic group you have to spoil! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete