Wednesday, November 19, 2014

WIP Wenesday - more sewing in the camper

WIP Wednesday - probably 2 more after this one of updates from the camper. We will be home again in just over 2 weeks.. mind you that is still a quarter of our trip to go. I shouldn't  start to wish it away.

I hadn't done any work of my own on my sewing machine since our couple of days at Duck Point on Wilsons Promontory with all my sewing time in Melbourne taken up with making curtains for my oldest son, Massage Man. (or MM) I might have to change his pseudonym as I didn't get one massage whilst in Melbourne despite seeing him every day AND spending lots of time sewing for him. Humph.

Once we got to Apollo Bay I knew I would get some sewing time tucked in there some how. We were staying in a little cottage - fully self contained with a luxurious double spa bath. Man did we enjoy that. Mind you when you have been staying in camping sites for 6 weeks having an inside bathroom is luxury in itself!!

We looked at the forecast and the worked out that Saturday (the day after we arrived) was better weather. Rain was forecast for Sunday. So we took Saturday to do some touring down the coast, checking out some of the things we had driven past with the trailer on behind the day before (it does limit where you can stop). We had a couple of walks on our way down to Lorne and then once there we explored the main street enjoying two books shops in particular. We bought a children's book at one place, gift for my cousin's children whom we will be visiting this coming weekend. In the 2nd had bookshop we browsed in I got a patchwork book and my Fixit Guy bought himself a puzzle book. We had another lovely long walk along the pier because the sun actually came out and then on our way back to Apollo Bay we stopped at numerous lookouts and took in the magnificent scenery.

So Sunday was going to be our stay close to base day and I was determined to break out my machine... and I did. We went to church in the morning and 2 walks in the afternoon: one to the shop to get some spray starch for my half square triangles which were all cut on the bias and the other after dinner along the beach to get our steps in after a rather low step day.

That apart I sewed my hst for my hourglass blocks for the border of Vanishing Hours, my disappearing hourglass quilt. I had made 10 of the units that get cut  twice diagonally to get the 4 hst whilst in Duck Point. On Sunday afternoon I managed to get 44 more made and them all cut up and pressed and 10 of the hourglass blocks made. It was very productive afternoon. 

Our little cottage was delightful but it wasn't really set up for sewing. The only indoor table was a tiny round one that was just big enough for 2 to sit up to for a meal. There was an out door one as well but given that it was raining and a bit chilly that wasn't suitable. Instead I had my machine on the coffee table and I sat on the lounge and made do. Realised later that I could have gotten one of the camping tables out of the trailer but by the time I thought of that I was almost done and it really was surprisingly comfortable!

We left Apollo Bay and have been staying a little further west along the coast at a place called Princetown. It consists of a shop, a pub, 2 camping grounds and a house or two. It is a lovely little spot. Last night, after we got back from our fabulous day at The Otway Fly - where we did the zipline tour and the tree top walk.. so much fun... 


The Cloud Station, the launch pads high in the trees from which the ziplines departed. There were 6 in all



There were two bridges as well. Fixit Guy handled them like a pro

I look like a dork in this one but it was fun. I felt like I had my arms out wide

Coming in for a landing. Nailed it

Tree Top Walk. So much fun

FG and I on the Cantilever which was hanging out over the creek

Some of the lovely mosses and ferns adoring the rain forest trees


I started to trim up the hst to make more hourglass blocks. I trimmed whilst I talked on the phone (on speaker phone) to our youngest son, Boyo, who has just finished his university year and is now back home. He started work on Friday at a fruit farm where the grape harvest has just started. It was good to catch up with him whilst I trimmed. After we had finished talking I started to sew them and got 24 made so that was productive. I had hoped to get some more made tonight but we had a huge day today. 

We left here at 8.30 to go view the Twelve Apostles in the early morning light before the hoards of tourists get there (see Monday Musings for my rant on tourists ironic cause that's what I am) 

Then we drove back East along to coast to the Otway Lighthouse where we spent several hours exploring the various buildings there and going up the old light house. 

So many amazing stories of bravery and daring, or terrible ship wrecks, of determined men and women battling isolation and danger. Did you know that the USA suffered its first casualty of World War Two in Bass Strait, not far off the coast of Cape Otway? A US ship struck a mine laid by a German U-boat. One man was killed in the incident, the first American of the war. 

We went from there to several different beaches and bays which we enjoyed exploring. On two of them were relics from ships that had been wrecked in Bass Strait - 3 anchors and another bit of ironwork. Not sure what it was.

The Anchor from the Marie Gabrielle, a French ship that was wrecked off what became known as wreck beach

The anchor from the Fiji, another wreck off Wreck Beach

I found this bottle on the beach. No message in it but it had stuff growing on it

It was 6.30 by the time we got home. I have uploaded my photos... 140 for the day on my camera and some more on my phone (which I can't get to upload. My phone has stopped co-operating with my computer. The only way I can access the photos is to put them onto Facebook and then download them from there. Most annoying) Now I am writing this. Its after 10 pm so I don't think I am going to get any sewing done now.

So
Vanishing Hours Progress
34 hourglass blocks made for the border. The hst for the remaining 20 blocks are made and ready to be trimmed before being sewn.

Tea Shop Quilt
I don't think I have done any applique on these blocks this week. I did do a little bit in Melbourne but think that was for last weeks report. I have taken it in the car with me incase I felt like doing it but I haven't got to it. I did buy some more buttons to go on it when we were in a little town near Ballarat on Friday.

Buttons for my Tea Shop Quilt

Linking up with

WIPs on Wednesdays and WIP Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment