Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tuesday Museday - my word for 2015

Sandy at "Quilting For the Rest of Us" is once again running a Quilty Resolutions Challenge and this year she has challenged her listeners to complete this sentence The one thing I have always wanted to do (textile/fiber-wise) that I resolve to do in 2015 is... 

I thought about this for a while and realised that paper piecing has always been something I have skirted around the edges of. I have done a very little bit in a couple of projects (Kombi Boys quilt had a little paper piecing in it. See it here. The windows were paper pieced). Its something I have always wanted to have a real go at but  never have. So Foundation Paper Piecing is my goal for this year.

A few things have confirmed that this will be my resolution for 2015.

I bought a paper piecing class on Craftsy. Its a Jenny Doak class called Mastering Foundation Piecing and I have even listened to the first couple of lessons. I don't thave the equipment that she uses but am getting very tempted by the quarter inch ruler thingy. That would be very useful. I also do use copier paper for my paper piecing and she doesn't recommend this but its handy and cheap and its what is loaded in my printer. 

Also Pam from Hip to Be a Square has joined in a 30 week challenge listed on the Fandom in Stitches website. Its a Harry Potter book shelf quilt with a pattern issued every week for 30 weeks. Its all paper pieced. I had a look and have joined in the Project of Doom (POD) challenge and have completed the first two blocks in the bookshelf.




Actually they are not complete. I want to put some titles on the books so a bit of embroidery left to do.

There are lots of geeky patterns on this website covering a range of interests and subjects. There are lots of Doctor Who patterns. I had explored this website on other occasions and had downloaded a heap of patterns, some paper pieced and some embroidery. 

I decided to have a go at one of the patterns from the Doctor Who file - the TARDIS. I really loved how it turned out.


 Couldn't believe that I managed all these tiny pieces. Its not perfect but I love it and I get a thrill out of looking at it (and the mistakes don't annoy me too much) I am not sure what I will do with it. There are a heap more Doctor Who blocks so perhaps I will make a heap more and make another quilt... or just a few more and make a wall hanging.

Alongside the Quilty Resolution Sandy invited us to choose a word for the year to guide us in our resolution. I chose the word Do. Originally I was going to choose Try and then (in true geeky household style) I remembered the quote from Yoda in Star Wars. "Do or Do not. There is no Try" Hence my word for this year is DO. 

I am pretty pleased with the start that I have made. What about you? Have you made a craft related resolution this year?

4 comments:

  1. You should make a bunch more Doctor Who ones and make your daughter a DW quilt. Or maybe I'll just claim the HP one. And very good job at getting Star Wars in there too- you managed to hit 3 fandoms in one post, I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Yoda reference! The HP blocks are great. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use the Yoda quote all the time at our house--it's a good one. I'm so glad you've joined in the resolution challenge, and I think your plan is an excellent one! Carol Doak is a great teacher--I didn't buy her Craftsy class only because I've owned her DVD for years and it's my go-to reference whenever I'm doing paper-piecing. I think you'll get a lot out of the class. Definitely get the 1/4" ruler--it's extremely useful for paper-piecing. Also, I switched to using her (Carol Doak's) foundation paper because it's much, MUCH easier to remove than copy paper is. Makes the whole process far less painful. Also, phonebook paper works well, though you have to watch for transfer of ink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang--cut me off before I could finish. Anyway, love your Dr. Who block and I think you ought to do a lot more of those. Fangirl would love them!

    ReplyDelete