Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday Stash Report with a bit of WIP Wednesday thrown in

This past week we have been staying on a cattle station belonging to my husband’s brothers. Its over 2 hours out of town…. Half the road is bitumen but then you turn off that road and the rest of the road is gravel or dirt. Its pretty isolated but they do have the phone on (they didn’t when I first started coming here 35 years ago) and the internet so that breaks down a lot of barriers… except when the internet goes out (the router’s power supply packed it in) at the same time as the phone line went dead. Fortunately there was still the two way radio and a kindly neighbour was able to get message to the family that all was well … and aslo order the part needed to fix the internet connection.

The funny thing was that by some fluke of the airways… Fixit Guy’s mobile phone picked up signal at one point and he got a text message. My sister in law went for a drive up the hill in the evening and her mobile phone also got signal and she was able to call her husband and children (Husband away mustering, Children in boarding school)

When you consider how far out of town we are… this is all pretty amazing.

One way and another I haven’t been keeping up with my blog. I haven’t been very consistent at all this year what with issues with my lap top, being away and all. I do plan on being more consistent… eventually.

This blog post is going to be a massive catch up.

WIPs. This week I’ve been doing a heap of hand sewing on my hexie quilt. I’ve been sewing the hexie’s into flower units over the last little while since I figured I probably had enough hexies made. I started to put some of the units together this week.

Using a flanell sheet and a board from a bed base that was stored here in the cottage on my in laws property, I made myself a temporary design board. Following the pattern I had worked out on graph paper I laid out a portion of the quilt top and started stitching units together. At first I kept adding to one  piece but eventually I started to make smaller units and then stitched them together. I have had to make some specific Flowers at times in order to follow the pattern but its slowly coming together. I think I have about one quarter of the quilt put together.

I have packed it away for now though. I will keep making the flowers when hand stitching is more appropriate but when I am in the cottage I have switched over to machine project. I have been working on another special quilt project, a 2nd Diamond Dash quilt for another special person. I am using the black and green fat quarters from the Oki line. So far I have the strips together and have made the sashing strips to go between them.

2 weeks ago I gave Fangirl the Harry Potter POD quilt that I made last year and finished off just in time for her birthday earlier in February. She was thrilled by it, and was delighted by the quilting that Kym from Professional Quilting Service did. I finished the binding minutes before I got on the plane to fly to Brisbane (well 30 minutes before I had to leave the house but that is still minutes).  There are photos of the quilt on my post here
 That means I was finally able to enter it on my spreadsheet and have my first decent finish for the year. The quilt measured 167cm x 210cm. Because it was paper pieced and because the back was pieced as well I added a bit extra to the calculations that I made for how much fabric I used. In the end I determined that I used 10.24m of fabric.
I haven't had any purchases this past week but I did buy some whilst in Brisbane. No photos as I forgot to take any but I got some bicycle fabric for a special project - 4 different pieces for a total of 1.95 cms. I'm still in the red as far as my fabric intake goes but I have a couple of quilts not far off completion so hope to turn that around shortly.

Stats from Weeks 5-7
                 Fabric used         10.24m
                 Fabric added         1.95m

Year to Date
                 Fabric used         10.75m
                 Fabric added       18.40m
Net Used                              -7.65m

No comments:

Post a Comment