First of all I finished a cushion cover for Fangirl using a cross stitch she had made in 2005. (I blogged about it on Wednesday here. I still don't have a picture of it as I gave it to Fangirl before I took one. She hasn't bought an insert for it yet. The cushion is 38cm square and used a total of .4m of fabric
I made a small banner to celebrate Australia Day.
Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and raising of the Flag of Great Britain at that site by GovernorArthur Phillip. In contemporary Australia, celebrations reflect the diverse society and landscape of the nation, and are marked by community and family events, reflections on Australian history, official community awards, and citizenship ceremonies welcoming new immigrants into the Australian community. (Wikipedia)
My project featured the January Embroidery BOM that my sister in law Christine from Bluebirds and Bumblebees has listed on Etsy here. Its free for this month only. Her subsequent embroideries will be listed one per month for $2 each.
I have made 2 quilts featuring these embroideries - the 12 of them, but this is actually the first block that I have embroidered. The 24 that I put into the quilts - one which I made for myself and one for my daughter Fangirl. - were all stitched by my mother in the months following my fathers death. She loved to embroider, and despite a pronounced tremor in her hand that prevented her from writing much, she was able to embroider. She explained that she would just wait till her hand shook to the right place and then poke it in! She wanted something to keep her busy and keep her mind occupied in those first difficult months. I had actually taken the prepped blocks with me for me to stitch at the conference I was flying to when I learned of my dad's death. I didn't go to the conference but went straight on to be with mum.
She worked on them constantly and over the next few years I traced off many more embroideries for her to stitch which I then sewed into quilts for my great nieces and nephews (her great grandchildren).
Anyway - this little banner was made using an embroidery completed by me. Its 35.5cm square and used a total of .35m of fabric. I put the little triangle hangers on the back. I love using them. They are so simple. I got the idea from a blog... but I can't remember whose. If I can find the link I'll put it in.
Funny thing is, my sister Joy also embroidered the 12 blocks from this BOM. She never got around to making the quilt though. Just this week she emailed me to ask if I would like them. She is having a big clean out and since she has never made them up she thought that I might like them. Fangirl is in Sydney this weekend catching up with my extended family at my nephews 30th birthday party and she is going to collect them for me.
I didn't acquire any fabric. Well that isn't strictly too. I got some scraps... I mean real scraps. I did some dumpster diving... well rubbish bin retrieval from the fabric bin at our patchwork group. I retrieved some bits of fabric that other people had thrown away but there is no way I can work out how much I got... just a pile of little bits and pieces.
So my stats are
Fabric used this week 0.75m
Fabric acquired this week 0.00m
Net Fabric used 0.75m
Fabric used this year 7.80m
Fabric Acquired this year 5.98m
Net Fabric used this year 1.82m