Friday, November 14, 2014

Friday Fitness - not the best of weeks

Its that time of the week again when I report in on my fitness aims. My weightloss aims have bitten the dust for the time being since I'm on holidays and no scales... and I'm on holidays... and enough said.

I have been keeping up with my steps. Well I've been monitoring them anyway. Can't say I've been keeping up with them. My aim is to maintain 10 000 steps a day as counted on my fitbit. I;ve been doing really well up till this last week, making that goal plus most days and on the days when my steps were low I would do some on the spot jogging to get me over the line.

This week in Melbourne... things have been a little... meh. Well a lot meh. For a starters we were staying in a caravan park with in the city of Melbourne... Coburg actually. It was a nice park, with a goodly amount of space per site and lots of grass and trees and greenery. But there was no lovely beach close by to walk along, nor walks through the national parks. Our activities were a lot more sedentary. Suffice to say my steps this week have been down... well down. 

Friday We packed up camp at Duck Point and Moved to Melbourne Set up camp, met up with our son and had dinner out with him at Grill'd Steps 8 714

Saturday MM (our oldest son Massage Man)  needed to do some shopping. He had only just moved into his new flat that he is sharing with his cousin. He wanted to show us Costco and he wanted to go to Ikea to check out some furniture. We didn't buy anything much... a few bits and pieces for Christmas stockings. Despite out big shopping day didn't get as many steps as would have been good  Steps 7 421

Sunday. Church, lunch out with friends, making curtains for MM and then dinner out with MM and his new girlfriend... not a big step day but late night meant I didn't feel like jogging on the spot to get my steps up. The curtain making I did was just sewing a hem on some sheer curtaining we had bought at Ikea to go on a glass door.Steps 4 812









Monday. A big steps day! We went to the zoo and spent about 5 hours walking all over it. Then in the evening we went down to St Kilda Breakwater to see the fairy penguins that have a colony there. We grabbed a park as soon as we saw one and ended up walking for ages to get to the peer and then the breakwater... but it was great for my step count Steps 15 619


This Zebra appealed cause she looked like she was a bit sunburnt so matched my quilt Sunburnt Zebras


Tuesday. Another pretty slow day. We went to a fabric shop Spotlight and bought fabric to make MM curtains for his bedroom. I took photos of various ones and messaged them to him to choose the one he wanted. We then went to his place and I spent the rest of the day sewing the curtains. When MM got home from work I had managed to complete 2 of 4 drops (without hems) We drove into the city to meet up with his friend again for dinner to celebrate his 27th birthday a couple of weeks early. We ate at the Portland Hotel which we particularly went to cause it has its own micro brewery and MM wanted his dad to try some of their beers. . We gave him Ikea vouchers... 3. 1 from us for his birthday, one for his Christmas and one from Fangirl for his birthday. He is going shopping on Sunday to choose a few things! Anyway not many steps (but some yummy food) Steps 4 857

http://portlandhotel.com.au/


Wednesday. Lunch with a friend, sewing curtains... afternoon tea out at MM's favourite coffee shop and then later dinner at one of his favourite local restaurants. I got the curtains for the bedroom finished and cut the other sheer curtain off and hemmed it to go on the back door which has glass just at the top. Not a lot of steps but when I got back to camp I was determined NOT to have a slack number again so I jogged on the spot for about half an hour and got the 4500 steps I needed to make 10 000; Steps 10 079
 

Afternoon tea out with my gorgeous son

Thursday. We packed up the camp and moved to Ballarat. We visited a fantastic exhibit called M.A.D.E.. Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka. The Eureka Stockade is famous in Australia for being the start of democratic government. The miners rebelled against what was seen as unfair, tyrannical practices by the colonial government of Victoria. Their list of demands included votes for men, regardless of property or rank amongst other things. The rebellion was put down but most of the miners demands were met over the next few years. Although a number of men were charged with treason, none were found guilty and in later years several of the rebels ended up in parliament. It was a wonderful exhibition, not just about the Eureka Stockade but about democracy in general. 



We both had hot chocolates in their cafe... cinnamon spiced hot chocolates. The chocolate was made by a local chocolatier and have to say it was the best hot choc I have ever had. 



Later we made our way to our camp and set it up and then went off for a drive. First stop was a quilt shop listed in the local information booklet. FG's idea... what a sweetheart.  It was called Eureka Patchwork and they have an online store as well as a shop front. I bought some cream tone on tone to make hourglass blocks for Vanishing Hours. 
Image
The Shop at 143 Victoria St Ballarat
Then we went to the local lake, Lake Wendouree and had a walk. We had thought we would walk around it but it was 6kms so we only went along the foreshores for about 2kms. Lots of waterbirds about with their young. Heaps of energetic people around... there was a sailing class on the lake, several group s of rowers and then on the track with us lots of joggers, bike riders, walkers with their dogs.... it was busy. We were walking late afternoon so were too late to visit the various attractions in the area like the Tramways Museum, or the Adam Lindsay Gordon Cottage  but we were able to enjoy the lake, the Olympic Rings display (the lake was the Olympic course for the rowing, canoeing and Kayaking for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games. We also visited  a lovely children's play area based on Aboriginal traditional stories and symbols. It was a great walk. Steps 13 601 

Friday We have packed up and  headed to Apollo Bay. We have 3 nights booked into a little cottage there so we don't have to unpack the camper till Monday night. We drove part way along the Great Ocean Roads. This is one of the most famous roads in Australia and the most scenic. The weather wasn't the best... its cloudy, windy and overcast but even so the scenery was magnificent. I took lots of photos.... but..... I think I have left my camera cord in the internal pocket of the tent. So at best no photos uploaded till Monday night. At worst no photos taken (if it goes flat) Stay tuned for that. At least I have my phone which takes reasonable photos on it. Oh and I have my bigger camera which I haven't used at all this trip. Might be the spur I need to get it out and get moving with using it. When I can access my photos I will upload them for you to see. 

Anyway with the walks we did along our way down the coast to a few view points, plus packing up, unpacking etc I was just 1500 short of my daily aim of 10 000 so I jogged on the spot and have got my 10 000. Yay.  Steps 10 028

With my few slack days this week I have slipped down the ratings somewhat but managed to regain a couple of positions. I'm 11th (I was 13th at one point today)

So how about you? What have you been up to this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment