Monday, April 3, 2017

B is for Balkan Puzzle



This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.

Day 2 of the A t Z blogging challenge. Today we are up to B. The block I have chosen is Balkan Puzzle block.



The Balkan Puzzle Block is a traditional block ie its been around for ages and no one really knows its origins. The block is over 100 years old. Like many older blocks it has some other names According to Ludlowquiltandsew this pattern is also known as the Windblown Star. I also saw it called Zigzag tile.

Not only do these traditional blocks get a variety of names they can also evolve somewhat - you can have a number of variations of the block, all with the same name, but slightly (or very) different from each other



They are usually made with 3 colours but the one I chose to make from Quilters Cache here had 4 colours (although the colours chosen make that hard to see) Its quite different to the one pictured at the start of the blog and the one I made is different again.


I found my instructions on Quilter's Cache here




13 comments:

  1. I love how adding the 4th colour made it seem like a totally different block, even though it's the same pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how different the pattern looks when you change colours - the first one is so dull compared to the other two! Thanks for popping into my B for Blogging post and figuring it out :)
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked it out eventually. I quite like the new way that we post our blogs to the list. Not only does it mean we get to blogs that are actually working and current BUT the time difference means I am finding a lot more Aussie blogs, which is lovely. Nothing against people from other nations but.... sometimes they write as if there is only one country of import, and its not Australia. I am finding most Aussie bloggers do have a wider view of the world

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, love the colors. Would be fun to work it all out.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I especially loved the red, blue and white combination. My mum does quilting too so I'm kind of familiar with how much patience it requires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look totally different though they are the same. I haven't tried my hand at quilting yet but it looks interesting. Thanks for dropping by my post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How one pattern can look so different is intriguing.

    Today in Amble Bay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how the different fabrics can change the way the pattern looks so! Beautiful! Talk about an incredible skill to have. Great theme for the Challenge and a beautiful post. Thanks for visiting yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why it's also called the Windblown Star. It's amazing how the different colors and patterns can change the look so much. WeekendsInMaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this block. I'll have to give it a go, if I ever get over my obsession with the hexagonal kaleidoscope (fussy cut, of course).

    ReplyDelete