Wednesday, April 5, 2017

D is for Double Spinwheels


This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.

D is for Double Spin Wheels.



The pin wheel is a traditional block in quilting circles and its beginnings go way back in patchwork probably to the beginning of patchwork. It is made up of half square triangles that are arranged to resemble a pinwheel and to give an illusion of movement. The double spin wheel (or double pin wheel) is a variation of this traditional block combining the half square triangles with squares and either more half square triangles or else flying geese units.

Again as it is a traditional block there are lots of variations of the double pinwheel. Many of them are called simply double pinwheel or double spin wheel and others have there own names. 

Once again the pattern I used came from Quilter's Cache and may be found here. On her site she has an illustration of a quilt made from the block 



and also photo of quilt made by Mary using the Double Pin Wheel block. Its very dramatic and ... oh dear another One Day quilt pattern has been added to the list




I chose more dramatic colour contrasts in mine than Marcia did with hers as well and I like the way it is looking. 



Edit -  An observant viewer of my blog aka my daughter Fangirl gently pointed out that I have sewn the top left hand half square triangle incorrectly... . Big oops and too late to fix cause I am ahead of myself and the quilt is now actually together and quilted and I am not pulling it out. So I am going to have to call mine the one and three spin instead of a double spin

17 comments:

  1. I love the colours in this block :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love black and white and any other bright colour. It is dramatic. I like the black and white print I used too... shame it was all used up in this block

      Delete
  2. The coloured ones are so much more dramatic than the brown ones - that cushion cover looks to festive!
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realized what I thought was a small cover was a quilt being held up by a person - even more impressive!

      Delete
    2. lol. It is a lovely quilt isn't it. And much prettier than in browns. To be fair the brown ones are illustrations of the block and technique rather than actual quilt/block. It is very tempting to make it... My "someday" pile is growing huge. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. Lovely vibrant colourful ones... And yes, a fun patten too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome and even after reading where you point out the mistake I still can't spot it!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol once seen can't be unseen. I'd tell you where it is in more detail but... think I will bask in the knowledge its not that obvious

      Delete
  5. OMG this is such tedious work and extrememly creative too!! I loved it despite its little imperfection!!!

    Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    D is for Dolphin Delight in Goa #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find it tedious - well not the sewing part. It is time consuming. I did find the pinning of the quilts together a bit tedious. However when you start to put the bits together and the pattern emerges... there is a real wow factor. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Oh wow the coloured ones look so vibrant and fun. I would not have noticed your mistake if you hadn't pointed it out. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed it and I had made it, photographed it.. .edited the photograph, sewn it into the row, sewn it into a quilt, photographed it some more, and quilted it again. My daughter spotted it as soon as she saw the photo on the blog post! Now I see it all the time in the photo! Its just one small piece put in the wrong way! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  7. Am I allowed to say that this block reminds me of the ninja stars that they used to throw at each other on the old TV show called 'The Samurai'?
    I'm old.
    Th rest of the world probably doesn't remember Shintaro...

    D = Death and a doo-dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess to remembering The Samurai. I wondered how the ninja's could jump backwards up into the corners so well.... even the actors. My brother couldn't convince me that they jumped backwards. They do indeed look like ninja stars. I thought the same thing when I looked at it

      Delete
    2. I didn't believe my older brother either!

      Delete
  8. Your color choices are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a 'new' quilt block :) Just go with the flow I always say.
    Stephanie Finnell
    @randallbychance on Twitter from
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete