Wednesday, April 12, 2017

J is for Japanese Lanterns

Japanese Lantern



I have a great affection for Japan. I have travelled there twice already and will be going again this July. The attraction for me down to our host son Sho, who lived with us for a year in 2004, as an exchange student with AFS. This visit we get to meet his lovely wife AND his baby, who is the closest thing I have to a grandchild. 

So this block was an easy choice for me. It looks so ... well true to label. Often block names leave you scratching your head and saying really? This one though is a no brainer. 

The pattern can be found on Quilter's Cache here 

I wasn't happy with my fabric choice... not enough contrast in places (this photo shows more contrast than the block did in real life. I think its because it was angled in the photo)


So I redid it


I really loved the way it came out the second time and can imagine a quilt done in all lanterns. 

This picture from Quilter's cache of a whole quilt in the lanterns doesn't really do it justice. I actually had trouble picking out the lanterns. One done in a variety of colours would probably stand out much better.

And since we are 10 days of blogging in I have now finished 2 rows and here is a progress shot.


9 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm from Japan, and the Japanese lantern pattern does look like a real "chouchin," doesn't it?
    I like your A-to-Z quilting project.

    On my Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them. Yes they do look so much like the actual lanterns. I am off to Japan in under 4 months for a week. It is going to be lovely

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the bond you develop with overseas students. We had a Korean baby-sitter for about 5 years, while she was studying in Melbourne. She is like a daughter to me too, and getting married in Seoul in a few weeks' time. Sadly, I cannot be there as my daughter has exams that week and I cannot leave her alone.
    I don't think you needed to do a second square. I really like your fabric choices and I think the colours and print look more Japanese than the blue one. Mind you, saying that, blues and purples always win me over and I think it would look stunning as a complete quilt.

    http://wendyoftherock.blogspot.com/2017/04/j-jewellery-jinx.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't used the reddy background I would have been more happy with it. Some of the fabric in the 2nd one was actually from Japan! I liked them both. And in the photo the lantern is clearer than in real life. Its funny with photography... sometimes its clearer and sometimes its less distinct. Thanks for stopping by Sorry you are missing that wedding. We are off to wedding of our 2nd host son in Norway in August

      Delete
  3. Definitely like your second japanese lantern with the pale parchment-like colour in the background. That really makes the lanterns stand out.

    Romance Spinners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and commenting. I liked both blocks but the first one just didn't stand out enough so ... the blue one it was and I liked it a lot

      Delete
  4. Very Talented. I've never been to Japan- it is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

    My A-Z post The Genealogy Search Continues:
    J is for Jewish Genealogy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to Japan one day. I am so looking forward to seeing our host son and wife and baby.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work. You are very talented. I've never been to Japan and don't expect to ever get there. J is for Journaling as you Build a Better Blog. #AtoZchallenge.

    ReplyDelete