Monday, April 17, 2017

N is for Next Door Neighbour


This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.



The Next Door Neighbor block is a traditional  block from the time of the civil war. According to Barbara Brackman on the website Civil War Quilts it was named by the Ladies' Art Company of St Louis in the early 20th Century. I found a number of websites that had tutorials for making this block. 

Next Door Neighbour was chosen from Quilter's Cache. The pattern can be found here . I chose it because it would end up the right size.



A quilt made from the blocks has a secondary pattern which I find gorgeous. A quilt from this block alone would be wonderful... a sort of basket weave affect


4 comments:

  1. That is really very pretty when all of them are put together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are! Like I said in the post... I am thinking about making a quilt entirely from this block. I just love the secondary pattern that comes through. Thanks for the visit

      Delete
  2. I love patterned quilts
    The pictures are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou. Yes quits are fun. I like all sorts of quilts. I make lots of scrap quilts and sample block quilts but I do love the ones that are made with a set colour scheme and the same pattern repeated through out that gives rise to the secondary pattern. I went to your blog and read several of your posts but didn't comment. I did enjoy them

      Delete