Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I is for Interwoven Diamonds


I is for Interwoven Diamonds



Interwoven Diamonds is a paper pieced block and an original design by the Marcia Hohn of Quilter's Cache. It can be found here. Its the first paper pieced block that I have used in the challenge.

What is paper piecing I hear you ask (well I imagine I hear you ask) I went to Wikipdedia (that source of all wisdom) and found this description

In patchwork, foundation piecing was originally a method used to stabilize pieces of fabric that were stitched together. It first became popular in the 18th and 19th centuries in England...
..... Originally pieces of scrap fabric or muslin were used as the foundation. Recently, the use of paper, whether tracing paper, freezer paper or some other heavyweight paper, has become very popular for use as a pattern, in creating quilt blocks that are all the same size, each with precise, sharp points and perfectly matched intersections..........
.....With paper piecing, a shorter stitch length (e.g. 12 stitches per inch) is used when sewing the components together. This perforates the foundation, making it easier to tear away after the block is completed. 
This picture gives you a bit of an idea of the process of paper piecing this block. 

Last year I did a whole blogpost in the challenge about Paper Piecing in general and the paper pieced quilts I have made, if you are interested you can find it here

This is my completed block.


I am making this quilt out of the contents of my scrap drawers and it is a brilliant pattern for using up scraps should I choose to make a whole quilt using it. It would be a beautiful quilt but to be honest... when you finish each block you have to remove all the paper from the back and ... its a long boring labourious, time consuming, mess making process. I think I would work out how to make the same pattern not paper pieced. It is gorgeous though.


This is an illustration from Quilter's Cache and then this is one made by Helen and shown on Quilter's Cache

15 comments:

  1. Paper piecing sounds interesting, and the completed quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for explaining paper piecing. I've never understood how it's done. That's a great way to use the fabric you have on hand. The blocks looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pleased that I was able to enlighten you. I love paper piecing

      Delete
  3. I've never used paper piecing, but have done foundation piecing before, especially when using scraps for a crazy quilt. When fabrics are different weights or even weaves, I found foundation piecing good for stabilising and keeping the heavier pieces from pulling too hard on the lighter ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I have done some foundation piecing - I use it mostly with string quilts and crazy quilts. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Yes.. you heard right... that's exactly what I was asking. And yes, it IS a gorgeous pattern, but I can see how the tedium of cleaning up every block would dampen the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilts look very colourful. But this looks like a difficult technique.

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere - Inaction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually its not too difficult. As with anything there are simpler, introductory type blocks and then there are exceedingly complex patterns. This one was a fairly simple one

      Delete
  6. Wow, these are beautiful, vivid quilts. I love quilts and,one day, would love to learn how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. patchworking can be addictive - just warning you... if you stick your toe in the water you may get swept away. I love it

      Delete
  7. I am speechless. These are just breath taking! Thank you for sharing such beauty.

    Nilanjana
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou. I love quilting and sharing it with others

      Delete
  8. This is another great pattern. It's funny how the position of the diamond makes it look different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its crazy... all in the illusion. Sometimes the patterns make the quilts move... optical illusions in quilts are crazy

      Delete