Monday, April 10, 2017

H is for Hayes Corner


H is for Hayes Corner




I had never heard of this block before I started researching for this challenge but it is a traditional block and has been around for a long time.  The website Early Women Masters features it and quotes it as being in both Jinny Meyers 2009 Quilter's Album and a 1973 book by Beth Gutceon "The Perfect Patchwork Primer". As is often the case the origin of the name, Hayes Corner, is unknown.

As is common with traditional blocks there are a number of variations to the block, although not a variety of names by which this block is known (at least not that I can find anyway)


 Once again it is colour placement that is responsible for the differences in these 2 blocks which are both different to the one at the top of the page, which came from Quilter's Cache here the pattern I used for my block



8 comments:

  1. I am still blown away by how different these quilting patterns look when different fabrics are combined - I'm a big fan of the bright colourful ones, but the autumn one here is lovely.
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. Colour and contrast is a big thing in quilting... and value - how deep the colour is. It gives the shade and texture to a quilt. Thanks for dropping by again

      Delete
  2. This looks even more beautiful. I am in love with this block pattern. Love the pattern you have used. The colors are really bright which i like

    http://dipanwita.com/a-z-challenge-h-horses-neck/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou. I love the different colours too... each gives a different mood for a quilt. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. This must be a very old quilt pattern. It has many variations of the nine block. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - the older the block the more variations it seems. I hadn't come across it before the challenge though so the exercise has been great for me

      Delete
  4. It's interesting how colour variations can create so different patterns.

    ReplyDelete