Thursday, April 6, 2017

E is for Eight Pointed Star variation


This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.

E is for Eight Pointed Star Variation

Stars are a very popular motif in quilting circles and there are numerous blocks with Star in the title. I am going to feature another one when we come to O. Ohio Star is perhaps the most well known of all the star blocks. Stars are fun and dramatic. They are usually easily made from a combination of simple units - half square triangle, flying geese, squares and rectangles. - the basics of patchwork. There are also some quite complex A google search came up with heaps of star quilt blocks and these are just a few of them




I also found a page on a website that had 35 Star block patterns. You can look at it here on Favequilts.com

So the block I chose for E, Eight Pointed Star Variation is pretty self explanatory. Its one of many variations of an star... with 8 points.

The pattern for this block can be found here on Quilter's Cache. It is made entirely from flying geese units and squares. A quilt made entirely from this block would look something like this
Although as Marcia Hohn points out, the choice of colours can really change the look of the quilt



I made mine slightly different to the one in the pattern I was supposedly following, in that I used another fabric for the centre of the block. To be honest this design choice was based on not having a large enough piece of the green spotted fabric (it had to be 4.5" square) to make it so I chose as close a co-ordinating fabric as I could. I really liked how this block turned out



And for those who have been following my challenge from the beginning (well all of you reading this blog but especially for them) this is what the quilt top looks like at this point.






17 comments:

  1. I love patchwork, and I like your theme. I'm interested in trying various patterns.

    On my Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many lovely block patterns out there. I think I am going to be sewing as they wheel me out in my coffin! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Those are pretty. My grandma quilted when she was a live and I still have the one she made me. Although, it's a little worn.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by. Its lovely that you are wearing out your grandma's quilt. I tell people that there is no greater compliment that you can give a quilter than to wear the quilt out with usage.

      Delete
  3. It's looking good :) I think the "scrappy" colours are going to help the individual block patterns stand out more

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother's passion was quilting, she lived to piece her's all by hand, no machine sewing. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes hand piecing was the way it was done. Machine's were not as common as they are now... for a while there not every home had one. And for many it was there handwork to do in their down time. My grandma embroidered and tatted. Her sister made a sort of patchwork called waggas. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. It amazes me how diffent the same pattern can appear by simply changing the colours.
    This series is fascinating

    Another day in Amble Bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is so fascinating! Don't forget I am still looking for that patchworker in Amble Bay. There must be at least one

      Delete
  6. Your A-Z quilt is a fantastic idea, and it is looking gorgeous. You have obviously spent many hours preparing for this blogging challenge. I could never be that organised.
    http://wendyoftherock.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep getting that damned link wrong. Sorry
      http://wendyoftherock.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  7. Your A-Z quilt is a fantastic idea, and it is looking gorgeous. You have obviously spent many hours preparing for this blogging challenge. I could never be that organised.
    wendyoftherock.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pattern and easy without the eight points coming together in the center. I like the secondary design, too. I'm a quilter currently working on a gecko and snake quilt (though not for the challenge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of a hit and miss quilter... keen but not necessarily great! My points are not always aligned and sometimes get chopped off... you get that. Gecko and snake quilt sounds fascinating

      Delete