Monday, April 24, 2017

T is for Tennessee

This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.



I got these blocks made in January so as to be ahead of the game come the challenge. Originally I was just going to make 8 or 9 but got on a roll and boom.. they were all done. I made one, took a picture, put it up on the design wall with the others, in order. Usually I would choose them from the list of blocks that I had sorted through and selected back in 2016 when I first decided that I would do this for the blog challenge this year. But sometimes I would go back to Quilter's Cache and check out some other blocks and sometimes select one of those. And sometimes I wouldn't copy the one that I chose to my list. 

That is what happened with this block. And when I came to write the blog I couldn't find the name of it. I tried to go through the list of blocks under T on Quilter's Cache but I couldn't see it. I decided that I must have gotten out of order, gotten confused and skipped T and made either 2 S blocks or 2 U blocks but I couldn't find it there either. 

Finally I went to my Brain's Trust ie my Twilter Group on Facebook and lamented my problem there, along with a photo and Vicki, From the blog and podcast My Creative Corner 3 tracked it down on Quilter's Cache. It does indeed start with T. In my panic I must have skipped over that block and not checked it out. Thank you so much Vicki!

So here it is Tennessee, which can be found on Quilter's Cache here (it really can even if I couldn't see for looking). Its  traditional block and is described as a great stash busting block as the whole block is made up of half square triangles, one side common and the others of varying colours and with different coloured squares in 2 corners. Completely scrappy and totally gorgeous.




I loved the pictures and diagrams I saw on Quilter's Cache of a whole quilt made from the block - some awesome secondary patterns developing and a wonderful block for using up scraps. 


Today is the 20th day of the challenge and T sees the completion of the 4th row of the A to Z quilt. Here is what we have so far



4 comments:

  1. Love the simplicity and versatility of the Tennessee block.

    Her Grace, HeidiRomance Spinners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I agree. I have pile of half square triangles and think I will use them to make this quilt

      Delete
  2. The title of your post caught my attention since I used to live in Tennessee. What a creative way to use the A to Z challenge!! And what a treasure of memories you have in the process.

    Trudy @ Reel Focus
    Food in Film: Ugli Fruit

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have some wonderful friends on your quilters facebook group. The blanket using the Tennessee pattern would be perfect for a child's room.

    ReplyDelete