Saturday, April 22, 2017

S is for Sailboat

This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.



Sailboat is another pattern from Quilter's Cache and can be found here It is listed as a traditional pattern and an internet search turned up a lot of patterns called Sailboat, or a variation of it. And there were lots of different ones. I didn't see the version from Quilter's Cache turn up else where but there were a number of similar themed ones. The Quilter's Cache version was an "on point" version. 

This was the more common version to be found




or variations of it such as this one


All of the version used a combination of half square triangles and squares to complete the design.

I wasn't overly happy with the way mine turned out... it was very bland and doesn't show up well in the photograph which was a bit washed out.


The version shown on Quilter's Cache was very dramatic when put together in a table runner and would be very striking in a whole quilt



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thankyou. Yes it can do that. I love the way that colour choice can give the illusion of movement and depth. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. I really like this one. In a pastel palette it would be pretty, so your block is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Yes a whole quit of the block in pastels would work. I guess I am not a real pastels person so perhaps should challenge myself. I'm pretty much a bright and bold kind of quilter

      Delete
  3. I do like the first common version where it looks like an old fashioned ship but don't know how it would look as a repeated pattern on a large quilt. Whereas your design would be more peaceful I think :)
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/s-is-for-solitary-sapien-solar-system.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I'm just stopping by on the A to Z Challenge. What an awesome theme you are doing and how fun to be making a block to go with each letter. Will you put them all together as an A to Z quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the quilt is already made. Stop by on the last day for the big reveal :)

      Delete
  5. It makes a very nice table runner. I think it's neat that the individual blocks in this pattern look just like the name "Sailboat." I might just google this now to see an entire blanket made with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete