Friday, April 14, 2017

L is for Log Cabin


The Log cabin is a traditional block. Its one of the most well known blocks - and one of the oldest having been popular since the 1800s.

There are many variations on this block and this website has patterns for quite a few. 







Once again the pattern for this one came from Quilter's Cache. I used the basic pattern found
here

This is my block for the quilt. The red centre is often seen as traditional for this block but not longer really holds with modern quilters who use whatever floats their boat! I went traditional

There are so many different affects that can be made by how the blocks are arranged. These are just some of the arrangements which I found on this great website Piecemeal Quilts. It really is one of the most versatile blocks there is








                      

This is a log cabin Christmas tree that I made for my famil a few years ago


17 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas tree with the characters danging from it and the tardis on top! Delightful.

    Another day in Amble Bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are a family of Doctor Who fanatics here. My daughter aka Fangirl stitched the Doctor Who figures. If you look carefully all the figures on the tree are from Doctor Who

      Delete
  2. This is such a versatile pattern. I love your Christmas tree.

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere - Live as if ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is! Its amazing what you can do with it.

      Delete
  3. Found you on the AtoZ comments and popped by to see how you're doing. Great theme and love the work. It's something I've always fancied doing but not sure I have the patience. I now have the knowledge and lots of inspiration thanks to your great posts so who knows. Great that you've finished the quilt. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The log cabin Christmas tree is a great favourite in the family. I made a second one using blue fabric that the Doctor Who figures now go on. This one is supposed to get more traditional ornaments but haven't got quite enough little ones yet. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely wonderful. I admire the patience and skill you have. The Christmas tree quilt is adorable. My Virtual Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. The tree quilt comes out each year! I love quilting and my family all know it and make time and space for me to sew

      Delete
  5. Love the tree! This makes me want to quilt. I had no idea there was so much variation and freedom to be creative within the formal structure of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup there is sooooo much variety in the quilts and blocks available and then the fabrics... its endless and somewhat addictive I find Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. I can see where the log cabin name came from--I see the logs! Beautiful quilts when all these are put together.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Family Christmas Tree block! Fantastic!
    Once Upon a Time

    ReplyDelete
  8. A piece of Art.You are very patient and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite blocks. It is great for putting a dent in the never ending scrap pile. Nice post.

    https://johawkthewriter.com/2017/04/14/atoz-challenge-l-is-for-lazy/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The log cabin was one of the first blocks I learned that wasn't a variation on the classic Nine Patch.

    Her Grace, HeidiRomance Spinners

    ReplyDelete