Tuesday, April 25, 2017

U is for Union Squares

This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.



Today's block is Union Squares that can be found here on Quilter's Cache. It is another traditional block that goes by a number of other names including An Effective Square, Four Crowns, Union as well as Union Squares. It consists of multiple half square, quarter square and square units. It can be sewn with flying geese instead.

It is a popular block for use in making Christmas themed items such as table runners because of the star nature of the block but it is dependent on the colour choices on the whole. 









3 comments:

  1. Oh I like this one. I can see the Christmas theme in this. Nice one.

    Suzy at Someday Somewhere - Umbrellas can ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you mentioned Four Crowns, that's all I could see! They're all beautiful.
    Lisa / Tales from the Love Shaque

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how this would make a really great Christmas pattern. I like the variation of colors in the large blanket. It has a warm, cozy look.

    ReplyDelete